High School AP Italian Preparation Courses
AP Advanced Placement italian Preparation Courses
Thanks to the advocacy of the Italian Embassy the College Board administered the first AP Italian Language and Culture Exam in May 2012 giving high school students the opportunity to earn college credits for their Italian language study. To assist students preparing for the AP Italian Exam the Babilonia - Center for Italian Language and Culture AP Prep Program offers an intense AP Preparation Program.Â The program was designed by one of the developers of the AP Italian Language Exam who trained our faculty in the various facets and expectations of the AP exam.
Babilonia - Center for Italian Language and Culture's location in Taormina, Sicily, the Pearl of the Mediterranean, is an ideal setting for high school students to study abroad in Italy and advance their Italian language proficiency. Taormina is safe, compact, and overflowing with Sicilian hospitality.
High school students live with host families and enjoy breakfast and dinner with the families. Our host families are carefully selected and many of the families have been hosting Babilonia students for many years, enthusiastically sharing their Italian culture with the students. Dinner time conversations are lively and provide additional language and culture exposure for the student.
A maximum of 10 students in each language class accelerates language acquisition and allows teachers to identify areas of strength and weakness.Â Between classes, students mingle in the gardens completing assignments and socializing with the international students who enroll at Babilonia to study.
Lunches of traditional Sicilian food, always fresh, healthy and tasty, are provided Monday to Friday by the Babilonia cafeteria. Students order a salad, panini or dish of the day (piatto del giorno) and the lunch is prepared fresh to each student's specifications.
After lunch, students attend tutoring sessions which address their specific language weaknesses. Students who enroll in the Advanced Placement Prep Program attend an additional session which focuses on practice for the Advanced Placement Exam. Since Babilonia faculty were trained by one of the U.S. faculty developers of the Advanced Placement Program and Exam they have an understanding of the Advanced Placement Italian Exam expectations.
We invite teachers in U.S. High Schools to encourage their students to join our High School Vacation Week or Advanced Placement Prep Programs in Sicily. Groups accompanied by teachers are also always welcome!
Advanced Placement Prep Program Dates for 2016
Available all weeks between February 1st to May 1st
Cost of Advanced Placement Preparation in Italy Program 1475 Euro
Study with a Buddy Discount: Enroll with a friend and share a room and each student gets a 100 Euro discount
- Airport pickup and return to Catania's Fontanarossa Airport
- Pre-departure orientation (via Skype)
- Orientation in Taormina
- Host family accommodations with single room (7 nights)
- Daily breakfast and dinner with host family
- Daily lunch Mon-Fri at Babilonia café (choice of Panini, salad or daily special; water or soda; dessert)
- One week Italian language immersion course (maximum 10 students per class)
- Advanced Placement Prep tutoring (one hour Mon-Fri)
- First Day Package (notebook, 2 ring binder, discount card for local businesses, pen)
- Free wireless internet at Babilonia during school hours
- Free use of Babilonia PC’s during school hours
- Guided Historical Walking Tour of Taormina
- Seminar in Italian culture, history, literature or art
- Italian film social
- Social activity
- Saturday full day excursion (varies according to week enrolled)
- Final certificate from Babilonia
Airfare not included
More about Sicily
Students may directly transfer credits into their home university or earn US university credits through Auburn University.
REQUEST ACADEMIC SYLLABI
For more specific details on study abroad programs, please contact:
U.S. Academic Advisor
tel/fax: (+1) 603-894-5552
Cell (+1) 978-828-3228